About Hermes
The Hermès family, originally Protestant Germans, settled in France in 1828. In 1837, Thierry Hermès (1801–1878) first established Hermès as a harness workshop, on the Grands Boulevards quarter of Paris, dedicated to purveying to European noblemen. He created the finest wrought harnesses and bridles for the carriage trade. The company earned acclaim in 1855, winning first prize in its class at the 1855 Exposition Universelle in Paris. Monsieur Hermès won the first-class medal of the 1867 Exposition Universelle also in Paris. Hermès's son, Charles-Émile Hermès (1835–1919), took over management from his father and moved the shop in 1880 to 24 Rue Faubourg Saint-Honoré, a location near the Palais de l'Elysée. It is at this location, still the Hermès shop today, where the new leader introduced saddlery and began retail sales. With the aid of sons Adolphe and Émile-Maurice Hermès, the company catered to the elite of Europe, North Africa, Russia, Asia, and the Americas. In 1900, the company offered the haut à courroies bag, specially designed for riders to carry their saddles with them.